Here is a quick update on the Twitter Matrix that the students got earlier this week. I was surprised that a few of them jumped right in and started posting things off of their matrix even the day that it was handed out.
— Lauryn (@dance4242) October 28, 2015
This was the first post from the Matrix. It helped me to realize a few things. First of all that we needed to have a conversation about the effort involved in the activities that were involved. Granted this post didn’t require a lot of effort, however I realized nor does following a few different news feeds. I guess the difference comes in student familiarity of Twitter. So I bought Lauryn a doughnut and used it as a teachable moment for everyone else to learn from as they started to post.
The next few that started to come in, had a little more sustanice, so I did highlight them with the classes. I wanted them to brainstorm what makes some tweets more engaging than others. I used the next example as a talking point.
— Alexis15 (@alexisdiamond15) November 4, 2015
In the next post as an example we used it to talk about the story that the student was referring to, but then talked about how a link to the story would be more helpful than just a picture of the story.
— Lucas (@SLIMCOW12) November 6, 2015
After a great discussion on these few minor fix-ups wanted to give them some time to add a few more posts and then build up the feed. We also talked more about how to engage our audience a little bit better with a discussion on hashtags again, reminding them that they can include them in their posts.
Definitely by the end of the first few weeks posts were improving and the quality of what they were putting out there had increased. However, in spite of a few pointed invites, we had not had anyone outside of our class use the hashtag 😦
— Carlie (@Carlie1331) November 11, 2015